Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Chapter

Grote of St. Lebuïnuskerk in Deventer, Overijssel, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 1
Name (Dutch) Grote of St. Lebuïnuskerk
Name (English) St Lebuinus's Church (Grote Kerk)
Patron saint(s)
  • Lebuïnus
Additional remarks Probably the missionary Lebuinus was the founder of the church, in which he was buried at his death ca. 773.
Location (according to current geography)
Province Overijssel, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Deventer
Coordinates 208/474A
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Deventer
Parish Deventer
Date of foundation <900
Type of chapter independent
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Lebuïnus (770) Bishop Bernold (1046).
Number of prebends 20
Phases in the institutional history The date of foundation of the church is debated. Some say that around 770 a church was founded by missionary Lebuinus. Presumably a collegiate church resided inside the church since bishop Adelbold I (866-899), fleeing from the Norsemen, chose Deventer as his residence. The core of the current church was founded by bishop Bernold in 1046 when he ordered the construction of the first (stone) early Romanesque collegiate church. Annex to St Lebuinus's Church, which was puerly a collegiate church, was the church of Our Lady, which served as the parish church (now largely a ruin). In 1559 St Lebuinus's Church became a cathedral (until 1580).
Date of transition (to secular management)
Date of dissolution 1591
Additional remarks The following parish churches at some point belonged to the collegiate church of Deventer: Ter Wolde, Twello, Wezepe, Olst, Wijhe, Ter Heine, Zwolle, Kamperveen, Kampen, Ens, Emmeloord, Genemuiden, IJsselmuiden, Hasselt, Staphorst, Hellendoorn, Raalte, Borne, Delden, Losser.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Storage in one place
Short description of the material 184.1 Stukken behorende tot de archieven van de kapittels van Deventer, Steenwijk en Oldenzaal, 1391-1588.A. Kapittel van Deventer.
Holding institution(s)
Name Historisch Centrum Overijssel (HCO)
Settlement Zwolle, Overijssel, NL
Website
Additional remarks
  • Bary (ed.), Eugenius Hubertus, Lebuïnus en Walburgis bijeen: Deventer en Zutphen als historische centra van kerkelijk leven (Delft 2006)
  • Goudriaan, K., Deventer: de Grote of St.-Lebuinuskerk : religieus leven in een Hanzestad, in: Pleij (ed.), H.; Blockmans (ed.), Wim , Nederland van prehistorie tot Beeldenstorm ( Amsterdam 2007),
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 463-464
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958)
  • Kuys, J., Kerkelijke organisatie in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Nijmegen 2004), 277
  • Magdelijns (ed.), J.R.M. , Het kapittel van Lebuinus in Deventer : nalatenschap van een immuniteit in bodem, bebouwing en beschrijving (Deventer 1996)
  • Mekking, Aart J.J., De Grote of Lebuinuskerk te Deventer: de 'Dom' van het Oversticht veelzijdig bekeken (Zutphen 1992)
  • Vliet, Kaj van, In kringen van kanunniken. Munsters en kapittels in het bisdom Utrecht 695-1227 (Zutphen 2002)
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name St Lebuinus´s Church, Deventer
Date of foundation 1046
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1046: The original basilica of 1046 consisted of a transept (and nave), choir, crypt, two towers, presbytery/choir and side-choirs. Archaeological excavation (1961-1962) conduce to the discovery of the foundations of this original church. The most important remnant of the eleventh century church is probably the crypt. 1200-1400: Several renovations were made during the thirteenth and fourteenth century. <1300: Construction of the vaulting (replaced by a new roof). 1454-1459: Construction of the current late Gothic hall church. 1459-1486: Construction of the current northern tower with pavilion roof (1499) and later a lantern with dome roof (1613). A plan was made to build a second tower (1486-1500). Construction of the current southern side-aisle. 1481-1484: Construction of the St Peter's chapel (entrance crypt). Above the St Peter's Chapel the (former) sacristy was constructed. The chapel was later demolished. 1502: Demolition of St Olaf's Chapel (1482) in to make possible construction of the ambulatory. 1500-1503: Enlargement of the northern side-aisle. 1957-1963: Restoration of the tower. 1905-1926,1926-1952, (internal), 1942-1965, 1986-1992: Restorations.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory is a bell made by Willem Wegewaert (1613), a pulpit (1781), an organ made by Frans Caspar Schnitger (1720; renovated in 1836-1839 by J.H. Holtgräve), a church organ made by W. van Leeuwen (1942-1950), various wall paintings (fifteenth century) and numerous memorial tombs. Among them a sandstone sarcophagus (ambulatory).
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University