Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Nicolaas en St. Barbarakerk in Valkenburg, Limburg, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 14
Name (Dutch) St. Nicolaas en St. Barbarakerk
Name (English) SS Nicholas and Barbara's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Nicholas
  • Barbara
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Limburg, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Valkenburg
Coordinates 186/319B
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 Roermond
Parish Valkenburg
Date of foundation 1281
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Right of collation Provost of Meersen
Phases in the institutional history 1228: A chapel is first mentioned in Valkenburg, subsidiary of the parish of Schin op Geul. 1281: Valkenburg was separated from Schin op Geul as an independent parish.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1633
Additional remarks Between 1633 and 1819, the church was used as a shared church for Protestants and Catholics. in 1819, it was destined for exclusive Catholic use.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Storage in one place
Short description of the material RHCL: 21.261- Parochie te Valkenburg: Heilige Nicolaas en Barbara. Size: 652 described records (among other archives and documentations). Inventory: In (document) file P.9
Holding institution(s)
Name Regionaal Historisch Centrum Limburg (RHCL)
Settlement Maastricht, Limburg, NL
Website
Additional remarks
  • Beekman, A.A.; Veen, J.S. van, Geschiedkundige atlas van Nederland. De kerkelijke indeeling omstreeks 1550 tevens kloosterkaart III. De bisdommen Munster, Keulen en Luik; het bisdom Doornik (The Hague 1923), 95
Links

Building history

General date of construction <1300
Church or chapel(s)
Name SS Nicholas and Barbara's Church, Valkenburg
Date of foundation 1281
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages <1300: The tower was built mainly in the thirteenth century, but not completed until 1463. <1400: The church was built in the fourteenth, and reconstructed in the fifteenth century. Between 1400 and 1944, the church was repeatedly severely damaged and restored. 1830: Enlargement of the choir. 1891: Enlargement of the church by Pierre Cuypers. 1904: Substantial reconstruction and enlargement by Joseph Cuypers. 1983: Restauration.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University