Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Monastery

Dominicanen (Jacopijnen) in Leeuwarden, Friesland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 190
Name (Dutch) Dominicanen (Jacopijnen)
Name (English) Convent of Dominican Friars (Jacopijnen)
Patron saint(s)
  • Dominic
  • Our Lady
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Friesland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Leeuwarden
Coordinates 182/580D
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Leeuwarden
Parish Leeuwarden - Nijehove
Date of foundation 1245
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) The lord of Cammingha
Religious order
Type of religious order Dominican
Associated with Congregatio Hollandiae
Type of institution men
Mother house
Name of the mother house
Phases in the institutional history 1245: Dominican Friars.
Date of transition to secular management 1578-1580
Date of dissolution 1578-1580
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material extant manuscripts and printed books
Storage in one place
Short description of the material Manuscript (Stooker and Verbeij): 730
Holding institution(s)
Name Bremen,SUB (Staats- und Universit├Ątsbibliothek Bremen)
Settlement Bremen, Bremen, DE
Website
Additional remarks
  • Coomans, Thomas, De middeleeuwse bedelordenarchitectuur in Nederland, Bulletin van de Koninklijke Nederlandse Oudheidkundige Bond 101 (2002), 173-200
  • Mol, Hans, De Friese huizen van de Duitse Orde. Nes, Steenkerk en Schoten en hun plaats in het middeleeuwse Friese kloosterlandschap (Leeuwarden 1991), 32, 115
  • Mol, J.A., 'Het Leeuwarder Dominicanenklooster in de middeleeuwen' in: Dominicusdag, 1245-1995 (Leeuwarden 1996), 20-31
  • Schoengen, M., Monasticon Batavum II De Augustijnsche orden, benevens de broeders en zusters van het gemeene leven (Amsterdam 1941), 109
  • Wolfs, S.P., Middeleeuwse dominicanenkloosters in Nederland (Assen 1984), 131-154
Links

Building history

General date of construction
Church or chapel(s)
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks the church was built shortly before 1300, renewed after a fire in 1392 and twice extended in the early sixteenth century
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University