Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Chapter

St. Joriskerk in Amersfoort, Utrecht, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 26
Name (Dutch) St. Joriskerk
Name (English) St George's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • George
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Utrecht, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Amersfoort
Coordinates 155/463B
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Utrecht
Parish Amersfoort
Date of foundation 1337
Type of chapter residing in a parish church
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Bishop
Number of prebends 10
Phases in the institutional history The church is mentioned in a document of 1265: it must have been separated by then from the mother church in Leusden. Foundation of a chapter inside the parish church by bishop Jan van Diest (1337). In 1460 the parish was incorporated with the chapter.
Date of transition (to secular management)
Date of dissolution 1578-1580
Additional remarks Presumably around 1203 a chapel was constructed for the people who lived in the court of the bishop (the later inner city of Amersfoort). This chapel was the predecessor of St George's church.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Storage in one place
Short description of the material Ae: 0165 Capittel van Sint Joris te Amersfoort, 1390-2005. This is the main body of archival material.
Holding institution(s)
Name Archief Eemland (Amersfoort)
Settlement Amersfoort, Utrecht, NL
Website
Additional remarks
  • Berends, G.; Wiersma, P. , Verslag van het onderzoek naar de bouwgeschiedenis van de St.-Joriskerk te Amersfoort (1965-1970) (Zeist 1989)
  • Hasselt, Johan Fran├žois Barthold van , De St. Joriskerk te Amersfoort : een archief in steen (Amersfoort : Amerongen 1944)
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 379-380
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958), 120-121
  • Kuys, J., Kerkelijke organisatie in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Nijmegen 2004), 278
  • Kuys, J., Repertorium van collegiale kapittels in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Hilversum 2014), 51-59
  • Por, J., Een oude muurschildering buiten aan de St. Joriskerk te Amersfoort , Oud-Holland : nieuwe bijdragen voor de geschiedenis der Nederlandsche kunst, letterkunde, nijverheid, enz. 61 (1946), 141-148, 141-148
  • Remmelzwaal , Jaap; Straten, Rudi van; Steeg , Jaap van der, De orgels in de Grote of Sint-Joriskerk te Amersfoort ( Amersfoort 1995)
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1375-1400
Church or chapel(s)
Name St George's Church, Amersfoort
Date of foundation 1337
Date of consecration 1246-1337
Short history of the building stages <1300: Construction of the tower in the thirteenth century. This tower was placed against a thirteenth century church that was consecrated in 1264. 1300-1350: Construction of a cruciform church (foureenth century). This church became a collegiate church in 1337 and was restored after a city fire (1340). From 1370 onwards: Replacement of the old church by the current hall church. 1400-1450: Adding a transept to the choir. Further enlargement of the choir. 1457: Enlargement of the tower. 1466: Enlargement of the nave with aisles. 1500: Adding several portals and chapels to the church. 1828: Renovation of the church 1956, 1961-1969: Restoration
Additional remarks An important part of the inventory is the sandstone rood loft (1480). Also part of the inventory are several sixteenth century doors (choir), a church organ made by C.F.A. Naber (nave), a pulpit (1659), a baptismal font and baptistery screen (1674). There are also important paintings (fourteenth-seventeenth century). Several of them representing St George and the dragon (ca.1400; transept, 1530; choir.). Also a painting has been made representing the wardens of St George's church (1657).
Burial ground
Location Church and churchyard
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University