Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Memorial Object

Tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel (fragment(s))

Add extra information

MeMO memorial object ID and name
MeMO memorial object ID 2958
Name Tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel (fragment(s))
Holding institution(s)
Holding institution(s)
  • Utrecht, Domkerk (St. Maartenskerk)
Category
Type Tomb monument, tomb slab or floor slab (physical object)
Classification Tomb monument
Short description Stone fragments of a tomb monument which are currently integrated in the floor and in a chapel screen
Remarks about category Originally a chest tomb (of which now only four fragments remain)
General date
General date 1325-1375
Artist(s)
Artist(s)
Original institution(s)
Original institution [21] St. Maartenskerk (Domkerk) (St Martin´s Church (Dom Cathedral)), Utrecht
Arguments
  • the memorial object is still in the original institution
  • based on research (literature, archival or archaeological research)
Specification Jan van Arkel was bishop of Utrecht. This church was the episcopal see.
Still in original institution? yes
Location inside the institution
In situ? no
(Probable) original location
  • in a chapel
Argumentation
Related memorial objects in the same institution
Additional remarks (original location)
Additional remarks The tomb was originally located in the 'kapel van Van Arkel' (chapel of Van Arkel), south west corner, against the west wall
Memorial piece
Function
Specification
Additional remarks
Memorial monument or floor slab
Function liturgical/religious and social
Grave findings
Additional remarks
Original function Originally a chest tomb, marking the grave of Robert van Arkel (d.1347), Margriet van Arkel, Lady of Eem (d.1368), and Jan van Arkel (d.1378). Later buried in the same grave: Frederik van Blankenheim (d.1423), who - like Jan van Arkel - was bishop of Utrecht, and canon Libertus van Houthem (d.1541).
Change in function Fragments of the tomb were integrated in the floor and in a chapel screen (1662)
Remarks about function
Name Jan van Arkel, Robert van Arkel and Frederik van Blankenheim
Specification
Members of the commemorated party
Commemorated person(s)
  • [5613] Frederik van Blankenheim (male)
  • [2238] Jan van Arkel (male)
  • [5612] Robert van Arkel (male)
Commemorated institution(s)
Relation between commemorated persons nuclear family
Relation specification Jan van Arkel and Robert van Arkel were brothers
Additional remarks Both the gisants and epitaphs of Jan van Arkel, Robert van Arkel and Frederik van Blankenheim are missing; a transcription of Jan van Arkel's epitaph has been handed down to us thanks to Buchelius.
Name Jan van Arkel
Composition of the commissioning party
  • single person
Specification
Members of the commissioning party
Commissioning person(s)
  • [2238] Jan van Arkel (male)
Commissioning Institution(s)
Relation between commissioning party and commemorated party The commissioning party was the commemorated party
Relation specification the commissioning party was the commemorated party; the commissioning party was a relative (brother) of the commemorated party
Additional remarks Jan van Arkel had the tomb monument built in the mid-14th century, after the death of his brother Robert (d. 1347)
Material(s)
  • stone
Specification black limestone (Namur stone)
Traces of polychromy?
Reuse of older objects
Dimensions (cm)
Height x width x depth
Completeness Incomplete: only four fragments remain
Condition
Conservation
Technical research
Specification (technical research)
Alterations
Alterations
  • one or more effigies/portraits added
  • one or more effigies/portraits removed
Specification The tomb originally showed the gisants of brothers Jan and Robert van Arkel. In the 'Monumenta' (early 17th century), Buchelius mentions that the figures of recumbent bishops ("episcoporum iacentium") have disappeared from the tomb monument. Since Robert was not a bishop, it is assumed that the gisant of Robert was replaced by that of bishop Frederik van Blankenheim around the time of his burial (ca. 1423).
Additional remarks
Provenance
Provenance
Marks of ownership
Type(s) of mark(s) of ownership
Specification
  • Bloys van Treslong Prins, P.C., Genealogische en heraldische gedenkwaardigheden in en uit de provincie Utrecht (Utrecht 1919), 212
  • Borst, P., et al., Graven en begraven in de Dom van Utrecht (Bunnik 1997), 26-27, 69-70; 18
  • Buchelius, A. , Monumenta passim in templis ac monasteriis Traiectinae urbis atque agri inventa (Utrecht ), 28; fol. 16v
  • Bueren, T. van, Gebeeldhouwde nagedachtenis in de Domstad, in: Schooten, K. van; Leeflang, M., Middeleeuwse beelden uit Utrecht 1430-1530 (Utrecht/Antwerpen 2012), 30-47, 46
  • Groot, A. de, De Dom van Utrecht in de zestiende eeuw. Inrichting, decoratie en gebruik van de katholieke kathedraal (Amsterdam 2011), 117, 118, 276; G
  • Haslinghuis, E.J.; Peeters, C.J.A.C., De Nederlandse Monumenten van Geschiedenis en Kunst, dl. II, De provincie Utrecht, Eerste stuk, De gemeente Utrecht, Tweede aflevering, De Dom van Utrecht ('s-Gravenhage 1965), 368; 2
Other documentation
RCE: object nos. 42.129 and 50.068; SKKN: inv. nos. 967-8 and 967-49; Het Utrechts Archief cat. no. 800820.
Additional remarks
Additional remarks • From minutes of the Utrecht town council of 28 November 1586, we can gather that the tomb monument was badly damaged that year. In 1661, the chapel of Van Arkel was bought by Anthonie de Goyer, who gave order to demolish the parts of the monument that were no longer usable. Shortly hereafter, two small fragments were placed in the floor of the chapel of Van Arkel, while two larger fragments were integrated in a newly built chapel screen (1662). The west wall of the chapel still shows traces of the back of the original chest tomb. • The tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel was stylistically related to that of Guy van Avesnes (d.1317). The monument of the latter is the only remaining bishop's tomb in the Utrecht St. Maartenskerk/Domkerk (St Martin's Church/Dom Church).

Single piece (front) of [2958] Tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel (fragment(s))

Indication of part
Indication of part Single piece (front)
Short description
Short description Two fragments of the tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel: large stones showing pointed arches below a narrow frieze of pointed arches; currently integrated in a chapel screen (footing); originally parts of the sides of the tomb
Dimensions (cm)
Height x Width x Depth
Date
Year ca.1350
Specified date
Argumentation
  • based on historical evidence (in literature)
  • based on historical and/or technical research
Specification Jan van Arkel's brother Robert, who died in 1347, was buried in or below the tomb
Additional remarks
Holding institution
Holding institution Utrecht, Domkerk (St. Maartenskerk)
Collection
Collection identifier
Online description link
Alternative or previous collections
Alternative of previous identifiers
Accessibility
Remarks about holding institution The fragments are integrated in the footing of the screen of the chapel of Van Arkel
Contract
Contract
Artist(s)
Filiation
Filiation
Additional remarks
Additional remarks Each of the cinquefoil arches show a spud hole, which may have been used to attach pleurants to the stone. The screen was made in 1662 for the burial chapel of Anthonie de Goyer.

Single piece (front) of [2958] Tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel (fragment(s))

Indication of part
Indication of part Single piece (front)
Short description
Short description Fragment of the tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel: oblong stone showing four cinquefoil arches; currently in the floor; originally part of a frieze
Dimensions (cm)
Height x Width x Depth 67 x 131 x 0
Date
Year ca.1350
Specified date
Argumentation
  • based on historical evidence (in literature)
  • based on historical and/or technical research
Specification Jan van Arkel's brother Robert, who died in 1347, was buried in or below the tomb
Additional remarks
Holding institution
Holding institution Utrecht, Domkerk (St. Maartenskerk)
Collection
Collection identifier
Online description link
Alternative or previous collections
Alternative of previous identifiers
Accessibility
Remarks about holding institution The fragment is integrated in the floor of the chapel of Van Arkel
Contract
Contract
Artist(s)
Filiation
Filiation
Additional remarks
Additional remarks The fragment shows four spud holes, which may have been used to attach pleurants to the stone

Single piece (front) of [2958] Tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel (fragment(s))

Indication of part
Indication of part Single piece (front)
Short description
Short description Fragment of the tomb monument of Jan and Robert van Arkel: oblong stone showing four cinquefoil arches; currently in the floor; originally part of a frieze
Dimensions (cm)
Height x Width x Depth 69 x 120 x 0
Date
Year ca.1350
Specified date
Argumentation
  • based on historical evidence (in literature)
  • based on historical and/or technical research
Specification Jan van Arkel's brother Robert, who died in 1347, was buried in or below the tomb
Additional remarks
Holding institution
Holding institution Utrecht, Domkerk (St. Maartenskerk)
Collection
Collection identifier
Online description link
Alternative or previous collections
Alternative of previous identifiers
Accessibility
Remarks about holding institution The fragment is integrated in the floor of the chapel of Van Arkel
Contract
Contract
Artist(s)
Filiation
Filiation
Additional remarks
Additional remarks The fragment shows four spud holes, which may have been used to attach pleurants to the stone

Decorations

Indication of part
Indication of the part Single piece (front)
Type(s) of decoration(s)
Type(s) of decoration(s)
  • architectural decorations
Description of the decoration(s)
Description of the decoration(s) cinquefoil arches within pointed arches which are decorated with crockets and a finial on top; pinnacles between the pointed arches; narrow frieze showing trefoil arches within pointed arches (top of the fragments)
Depicted allegories
Depicted allegories
Additional remarks
Additional remarks
Indication of part
Indication of the part Single piece (front)
Type(s) of decoration(s)
Type(s) of decoration(s)
  • architectural decorations
Description of the decoration(s)
Description of the decoration(s) cinquefoil arches
Depicted allegories
Depicted allegories
Additional remarks
Additional remarks
Indication of part
Indication of the part Single piece (front)
Type(s) of decoration(s)
Type(s) of decoration(s)
  • geometric patterns
Description of the decoration(s)
Description of the decoration(s) cinquefoil arches
Depicted allegories
Depicted allegories
Additional remarks
Additional remarks

Person Description

Personal identification number
Personal identification number 2238
Personal details
Name Jan van Arkel
Sex male
Year/date of birth ca.1314
Year/date of death 1378
Additional remarks Son of Jan III, lord of Arkel, and his second wife Kunigonda van Virneburg. Practically nothing is known about his youth. Jan was appointed bishop of Utrecht in 1342 due to the influence of Count Willem IV van Holland. He moved to Grenoble in 1343 to save the costs of a household. However, he was called back by his brother and deputy Robert van Arkel in 1345, when Count Willem IV van Holland decided to besiege the city of Utrecht on July 8. In 1351 he once again returned from Grenoble to restore his authority. Jan van Arkel has the reputation of being one of the most competent bishops of Utrecht, both in religious and secular matters. In 1364, Jan van Arkel became bishop of Liege. He died in Liege but had expressed the wish to be buried in the Utrecht St. Maartenskerk/Domkerk (St Martin's Church/Dom Church). He was buried in the same tomb as his brother Robert. His heart was buried in one of the convent churches of Liege.
Social standing
Status secular clergy
Arguments
  • according to literature
Specification
Member of a convent
Religious order
Specification
Member of secular clergy
Type of secular clergy bishop
Specification bishop of Utrecht, 1342-1364; bishop of Liege, 1364-1378.
Additional remarks
Additional remarks
Personal identification number
Personal identification number 5612
Personal details
Name Robert van Arkel
Sex male
Year/date of birth
Year/date of death 1347/07/21
Additional remarks Also known as Robrecht. Born around 1316/1317 as son of Jan III, lord of Arkel, and his second wife Kunigonda van Virneburg. Husband of Aleid van Asperen and N.N. van Renswoude (?). Robert died on 21 July 1347 during a battle near Liege. He was buried in the St. Maartenskerk/Domkerk (St Martin's Church/Dom Church) in Utrecht, in a tomb commissioned by his brother Jan, bishop of Utrecht.
Social standing
Status nobility
Arguments
  • according to literature
Specification knight; marshal of the Bishopric of Utrecht (het Sticht); lord of Asperen, Bergambacht and Renswoude
Member of a convent
Religious order
Specification
Member of secular clergy
Type of secular clergy
Specification
Additional remarks
Additional remarks
Personal identification number
Personal identification number 5613
Personal details
Name Frederik van Blankenheim
Sex male
Year/date of birth
Year/date of death 1423/10/09
Additional remarks Born around 1355. Frederik studied law in Strasbourg and became bishop of Strasbourg in 1375. Due to his unsuccessful administration, he was transferred to Utrecht (thanks to Count William I of Gelre). In 1408, he granted city-rights to Coevorden. He died in Ter Horst Castle in Loenen and was buried in the Utrecht St. Maartenskerk/Domkerk (St Martin's Church/Dom Church), in the tomb of Jan and Robert van Arkel.
Social standing
Status secular clergy
Arguments
  • according to literature
Specification
Member of a convent
Religious order
Specification
Member of secular clergy
Type of secular clergy bishop
Specification bishop of Strasbourg,1375-1393, as Friedrich II; bishop of Utrecht,1393-1423, as Frederik III
Additional remarks
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University