Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Monastery

Nieuwenhof, Begijnhof (Catharina Bongert) in Maastricht, Limburg, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 366
Name (Dutch) Nieuwenhof, Begijnhof (Catharina Bongert)
Name (English) Nieuwenhof, Beguinage (Catharina Bongert)
Patron saint(s)
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Limburg, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Maastricht
Coordinates 176/318
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 Roermond
Parish Maastricht - Sint Servatius / Sint Jan
Date of foundation 1251
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Religious order
Type of religious order Beguines
Associated with
Type of institution women
Mother house
Name of the mother house
Phases in the institutional history 1251: Beguines, settled in the Aldenhof near the Helpoort, plagued by floodings. 1265: Relocation to a place outside the city walls: first 'Nieuwenhof'. 1482: Relocation inside the city walls: second 'Nieuwenhof' or Catharina Bongert. 1502: Adoption of Tertiary status.
Date of transition to secular management
Date of dissolution 1796
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Storage in one place
Short description of the material RHCL: 14.D026 - Klooster de Nieuwenhof te Maastricht. Size: 0,9 metre - 1 charter. Date: 1420-1796. Inventory: Delahaye, R.M., Magazijnlijsten kleinere archieven van kloosters en stichtingen (Maastricht 1982).
Holding institution(s)
Name Regionaal Historisch Centrum Limburg (RHCL)
Settlement Maastricht, Limburg, NL
Website
Additional remarks Remark: Also known as Sinte Gertrude's monastery, Beguines of the Nieuwenhof, Sinte Catharijnen Bomgaert.
  • Denslagen, Wim, Begijnhoven in Noord-Nederlandse steden, Bulletin van de Koninklijke Nederlandse Oudheidkundige Bond 77 (1978), 205-225, 223
  • Doppler, P., Het klooster of begijnhof ‘De Nieuwenhof’ te Maastricht, De Maasgouw 41 (1921), 28-29
  • Offermans, J.P.L.G., De Nieuwenhof (Maastricht 1991)
  • Ramakers, E., Historische Atlas van Maastricht: 2000 jaar aan Maas en Jeker (Amsterdam 2005); nr. 30
  • Rensch, Th.J. van, Parochies in Middeleeuws Maastricht, in: , Munsters in de Maasgouw. Archeologie en Kerkgeschiedenis in Limburg (Maastricht 1986), 139-157; nr. 29
  • Roebroeks, F.H.M., Van Aldenhof tot Sint-Catharina Bongart, bijdrage tot de geschiedenis van een Maastrichts begijnhof, in: , Munsters in de Maasgouw. Archeologie en Kerkgeschiedenis in Limburg (Maastricht 1986), 158-173
  • Schoengen, M., Monasticon Batavum I: De Franciscaansche orden (Amsterdam 1941), 142
  • Simons, Walter, Cities of ladies. Beguine communities in the medieval Low Countries 1200-1565 (Philadelphia 2001); nr. 66A
  • Ubachs, P.J.H., Tweeduizend jaar Maastricht (Maastricht 1993); nr. 31
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1489
Church or chapel(s)
Name Maastricht, Chapel Nieuwenhof
Date of foundation 1482
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1489: The Gothic church on the second 'Nieuwenhof' inside the city walls, where the beguines moved in 1482, was constructed in 1489. The choir still dates from this time. 1662: Construction of the nave of the chapel, which replaced a 1494 timber-frame nave. The other extant buildings of the beguinage also date from the seventeenth century. <1900: In the nineteenth century, the chapel was restored by Pierre Cuypers.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks The beguinage currently houses the University College Maastricht.
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University