Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Monastery

Lopsen, Regulieren (St. Hieronymusdal) in Leiden, Zuid-Holland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 371
Name (Dutch) Lopsen, Regulieren (St. Hieronymusdal)
Name (English) Lopsen Monastery, Regular Canons (St Hieronymusdal)
Patron saint(s)
  • Jerome (Hieronymus)
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Zuid-Holland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Leiden
Coordinates 94/464C
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Utrecht
Parish Leiden - Onze Lieve Vrouwe
Date of foundation ca.1404
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Religious order
Type of religious order Canons Regular
Associated with 1404: Chapter of Utrecht. 1459-1460: Chapter of Windesheim.
Type of institution men
Mother house
Name of the mother house
Phases in the institutional history Originally Jan Rembrandsz house in Lopsen. Devout brethren. 1404: Tertiaries; Chapter of Utrecht. 1459-1460: Regular Canons; Chapter of Windesheim.
Date of transition to secular management
Date of dissolution 1526
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Storage in one place
Short description of the material RegA Leiden: Kloosters inv. 96-230. Access: J.C. Overvoorde, Archieven van de kloosters (Leiden 1917).
Holding institution(s)
Name Erfgoed Leiden en Omstreken (formerly known as: Regionaal Archief Leiden)
Settlement Leiden, Zuid-Holland, NL
Website
Additional remarks
Type of extant material extant manuscripts and printed books
Storage in one place
Short description of the material (Stooker and Verbeij): 740. Leiden GA.
Holding institution(s)
Name Erfgoed Leiden en Omstreken (formerly known as: Regionaal Archief Leiden)
Settlement Leiden, Zuid-Holland, NL
Website
Additional remarks
  • Kohl, W; Weiler, A.G.; Persoons, E, Monasticon Windeshemense III: Niederlande (Brussel 1980), 265-278
  • Luijk, Madelon van, Bruiden van Christus. De tweede religieuze vrouwenbeweging in Leiden en Zwolle, 1380-1580 (Zutphen 2004), 51
  • Obbema, P.F.J., Lopsen onder Leiden en Sint Janskamp bij Vollenhove, twee verwante kloosters, in: Marsilje, J.W., Uit Leidse bron geleverd. Studies Leverland (Leiden 1989), 173-181
  • Schoengen, M., Monasticon Batavum II De Augustijnsche orden, benevens de broeders en zusters van het gemeene leven (Amsterdam 1941), 110-111; Number 1 and 4
  • Smithuis, J., Lopsen en de Moderne Devotie. Een Leids klooster nader bekeken, Jaarboek Sociale en economische geschiedenis Leiden en omstreken (1996), 13-34
  • Weiler, A.G., Volgens de norm van de vroege kerk. De geschiedenis van de huizen van de broeders van het Gemene leven in Nederland (Nijmegen 1997), 187-189
Links

Building history

General date of construction ca.1404
Church or chapel(s)
Name Leiden, Monastery Hiƫronymusdal (Lopsen)
Date of foundation <1404
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages ca.1400: The monastery complex was probably built after 1400. 1526: Reconstruction to serve as plague and syphilis hospital. 1572: Demolition.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition 1572
Additional remarks Between 1526 and 1570, the monastery buildings were used by St Catherine's Hospital as an annex for plague and syphilis patients.
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University