Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Chapter

St. Johannes Evangelistkerk (St. Janskathedraal) in 's-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 387
Name (Dutch) St. Johannes Evangelistkerk (St. Janskathedraal)
Name (English) St John Evangelist's Church (St John's Cathedral)
Patron saint(s)
  • Our Lady
  • John the Evangelist
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Noord-Brabant, NL - Netherlands
Settlement 's-Hertogenbosch
Coordinates 149/411
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 's-Hertogenbosch
Parish 's-Hertogenbosch
Date of foundation 1366
Type of chapter residing in a parish church
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) John of Arkel, bishop of Liege.
Number of prebends 30
Phases in the institutional history In 1185, duke Henry I of Brabant founded a new town on his domain at Orthen: 's-Hertogenbosch. 1222: A church is mentioned in 1222, but until 1413 this church remained united with the mother church in Orthen, with Orthen as the official seat of the curate. 1366: St John's church becomes a collegiate church (with chapter). Around 1380, an important pilgrimage to an archaic statue of Our Lady ('Zoete Lieve Vrouwe') starts. 1413: The parish of Orthen is incorporated with the chapter. 1559: The church becomes a cathedral for the newly founded diocese of 's-Hertogenbosch. The right of collation belonged successively to the archbishop of Cologne (until 1231), the abbey of Berne (until 1270), the abbey of Oudergem near Brussels (since 1270) and finally the chapter in St John's Church. Several neighbouring parishes were incorporated with the chapter: apart from Orthen - s'-Hertogenbosch and the Court Beguinage in the same town also: Steensel, Geffen, Nuland, Dinther, Hees and Rosmalen. In 1629, 's-Hertogenbosch was captured by the troops of Orange; the church was given to the Protestants.
Date of transition (to secular management)
Date of dissolution 1629
Additional remarks After 1810 the St John the Baptist's Church became a Catholic church again.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Bijsterveld, Arnoud-Jan A. van, Laverend tussen Kerk en Wereld. De pastoors in Noord-Brabant 1400-1570. (Nijmegen 1993); Bijlage 3, no. II.38
  • Kuijer, P.Th.J., s-Hertogenbosch, stad in het hertogdom Brabant, ca. 1185-1629 (Zwolle 2000)
  • Nissen, P., Lieve Vrouwekapel van de kathedrale basiliek van Dt. Jan Evangelist, in: Margry, P.J., Bedevaartplaatsen in Nederland II: Noord-Brabant (Amsterdam - Hilversum 1998), 395-424
  • Peeters, C., De Nederlandse monumenten van geschiedenis en kunst XVII. De Sint Janskathedraal te 's-Hertogenbosch (The Hague 1985)
  • Veen, J.S. van; Beekman, A.A., Geschiedkundige atlas van Nederland. De kerkelijke indeeling omstreeks 1550 tevens kloosterkaart III. De bisdommen Munster, Keulen en Luik; het bisdom Doornik (The Hague 1923), 53-56
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name 's-Hertogenbosch, St John Evangelist's Church
Date of foundation <1250
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages St John's Cathedral is a large cruciform basilica with a nave and two aisles on both sides. It is considered to be the most important building in Brabant Gothic style in the Netherlands. 1250-1260: Remnants of a predecessor (late-Romanesque tower and accompanying chapels). 1280: Start of the construction of the present west tower. 1280- 1320: Construction of the our Lady's Chapel (renovated in 1878-1880 and 1981; perhaps of earlier date). Ca. 1350: Construction of the baptistery (southern side of the tower). 1380-1445 Construction of the choir with ambulatory and radiating chapels. 1445-1460: Construction of the transept. 1478-1516: Renovations/construction of the nave. Ca.1500: Construction of a sacristy ( nowadays Sacramentskapel). 1475-1500: Construction of a chapter hall with sacristy (now sacristy and Goede Herderkapel) and Bockkapel (nowadays Antoniuskapel). 1584: Damage due to a fire. Deconstruction of the middle tower. 1629: Damage during the siege of 's-Hertogenbosch (Dutch Revolt). 1961-1984: Restoration. 1425:
Additional remarks After 1381 St Johns's Evangelist's church became site of a pilgrimage because of a thirteenth century statue of Our Lady (miracle). Parts of the inventory are several wall paintings. It is likely that the paintings in the choir where made on the occasion of the assembling of the chapter of The Order of the Golden Fleece in 1481 (portrait of Philip the Good). To the inventory also belong over 400 memorial tombs.
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University