Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Chapter

Grote of St. Gertrudiskerk in Bergen-op-Zoom, Noord-Brabant, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 396
Name (Dutch) Grote of St. Gertrudiskerk
Name (English) St Gertrude's Church (Grote Kerk)
Patron saint(s)
  • Gertrude of Nivelles
Additional remarks The tower of the church is known as 'De Peperbus'.
Location (according to current geography)
Province Noord-Brabant, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Bergen-op-Zoom
Coordinates 78/390BD
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 Antwerpen
Parish Bergen-op-Zoom
Date of foundation 1428-1442
Type of chapter residing in a parish church
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Number of prebends 0
Phases in the institutional history <1000: The oldest church in Bergen op Zoom was St Gertrude's Church (or Chapel). Foundation of a chapter inside St Gertrude's Church in 1442 or 1428. Originally the right of collation of the parish church in Bergen op Zoom belonged to the dean and chapter of St Gertrude's Church/monastery (Nijvel) and the Lord of Bergen op Zoom. The original St Gertrude's Church was replaced by a new one after a fire. In 1586 the church was given to the protestants. It was used as Dutch reformed Church until 1966.
Date of transition (to secular management)
Date of dissolution 1586-1590
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Storage in one place
Short description of the material BHIC - 247. Date: 1510 - 1570. Size 2 described records.
Holding institution(s)
Name Brabants Historisch Informatie Centrum
Settlement 's-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, NL
Additional remarks
  • Beekman, A.A.; Veen, J.S. van, Geschiedkundige atlas van Nederland. De kerkelijke indeeling omstreeks 1550 tevens kloosterkaart III. De bisdommen Munster, Keulen en Luik; het bisdom Doornik (The Hague 1923), 31-32
  • Herwaarden, J. van, Mariakapel in de parochiekerk van St. Gertrudis, in: Margry, P.J., Bedevaartplaatsen in Nederland II: Noord-Brabant (Amsterdam - Hilversum 1998), 77-82

Building history

General date of construction
Church or chapel(s)
Name Bergen-op-Zoom, Grote of St. Gertrudiskerk
Date of foundation
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages The oldest part of the present church is the tower (second half fourteenth century). The church was finished in Brabant Gothic style by Everaert Spoorwater in 1477: choir, ambulatory, radiating and side chapels. In 1489, Anthony Keldermans presented a scheme for a huge extension. This was started in 1504, but the project was abandoned in 1539. A new choir and a second transept at the east end of the church were realised. In 1580 the church was damaged during religious troubles. In 1590, the protestants took possession of the church (until 1966), but they used only the nave and the first transept. The choir and part of the second transept were transformed into a 'Promenade Church', the remaining fell into ruin. In 1747 the church as a whole was devastated during a bombardment by the French. It was rebuilt in a much simpler fashion; the elevation was reduced by nine meters. In 1972 a fire destroyed the church. Since then it was restored with minimal means.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University