Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Chapel

St. Bernarduskapel in Ulicoten, Noord-Brabant, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 428
Name (Dutch) St. Bernarduskapel
Name (English) St Bernard's Chapel
Patron saint(s)
  • Anthony Abbot
  • Bernard
  • Our Lady
Additional remarks Originally, the chapel was devoted to Our Lady and St Anthony. In the sixteenth century, St Bernard became patron saint.
Location (according to current geography)
Province Noord-Brabant, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Ulicoten
Coordinates 123/384D
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 Antwerp
Parish Baarle
Date of foundation
Type of chapel independent chapel
Specification
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Phases in the institutional History ca.1444: Foundation of a chapel (Our Lady's and St Anthony, abbot's) in the parish of Baarle. <1600: In the sixteenth century, St Bernard of Clairveaux became patron saint. The chapel became a place of pilgrimage because of a miraculous image of St Bernard.
Date dissolution 1648
Additional remarks Returned to the Catholics in 1798.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Links

Building history

General date of construction ca.1444
Church or chapel(s)
Name Ulicoten, St Bernard's Chapel
Date of foundation ca.1444
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages ca.1444: A Gothic chapel was constructed in Ulicoten. 1870: Demolition of the chapel. A new Neo-Gothic parish church was built.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University