Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Martinikerk in Franeker, Friesland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 44
Name (Dutch) St. Martinikerk
Name (English) St Martin's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Martin of Tours
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Friesland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Franeker
Coordinates 165/578D
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Leeuwarden
Parish Franeker
Date of foundation ca.1085
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Bishop
Right of collation Bishop/ The collegiate church of St John (Utrecht).
Phases in the institutional history In 1085 bishop Konrad gave the right of collation to the collegiate church of St John (Utrecht).
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1580
Additional remarks The church was probably the mother church for the northern part of Westergo.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 558
  • Karstkarel, Peter, Alle middeleeuwse kerken. Van Harlingen tot Wilhelmshaven (Leeuwarden 2007), 115
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958)
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name St Martin's Church, Franeker
Date of foundation <1256
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1400- 1450: Construction of the choir (aisle). 1450: Construction of the nave. 1450-1500: Construction of the tower. <1600: Construction of a consistory. 1714: After a city fire the tower was lowered. Also the current steeple was constructed. 1876-1878: Renovation of the church. 1940-1943: Restoration of the church.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are several wall paintings (fifteenth century), four fifteenth-century pews, a pulpit (1622), a church organ (1848; with older remnants), a bell made by Gerrit Butendiic (1450) and various memorial tombs.
Burial ground
Location Church and churchyard
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University