Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Nicolaaskerk (Bergkerk) in Deventer, Overijssel, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 52
Name (Dutch) St. Nicolaaskerk (Bergkerk)
Name (English) St Nicholas' Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Nicholas
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Overijssel, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Deventer
Coordinates 208/474A
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Deventer
Parish Deventer - Sint Nicolaas
Date of foundation ca.1200
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Bishop Albertus.
Right of collation The abbey of Varlar (near Coesfeld; Germany).Premonstratensian Canons.
Phases in the institutional history The Bergkerk was founded in the thirteenth century and belonged to the abbey Varlar near Coesfeld (Germany). The church is mentioned as a chapel in a document ca. 1200. Soon after this date the chapel became a parish church.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1582-1583
Additional remarks The 'Bergkerk 'was operated by the Premonstratensian Canons of Varlar. After the Reformation the church was reunite with the parish of the Oudekerk (St Lebuin). Outside the church the St Nicholas's monastery, the Cistercian Nuns abbey and the St George hospital were built.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Hogenstijn, C.M. , De Bergkerk te Deventer in de middeleeuwen, Berne : godsdienstig tijdschrift der Abdij van Berne 38 (1985), 111-116, 111-116
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915)
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958)

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name St Nicholas's Church (Bergkerk), Deventer
Date of foundation ca.1200
Date of consecration 1206
Short history of the building stages 1198 – 1209 : Both of the western towers (tuff stone) are remnants of the original Romanesque church that was consecrated in 1206. There are also some remnants of the Romanesque transept. 1400-1470: Construction of the gothic choir (aisle) and nave (basilical) as a replacement of the old Romanesque choir and nave. 1463: The construction of the northern side-aisle was finished in 1463 (dated on the vault). 1466: The construction of the southern side-aisle was finished in 1466 (dated on the vault). Ca.1465: Heightening of the towers. 1477: Construction of a chapel (choir aisle?). 1497: Construction of the portal/ northern entrance. 1500: Construction of the diagonal chapels against the old transept. 1830: Adding entrances to the towers. 1908-1915, 1915-1924: Restoration of the church. 1963-1964, 1971-1972: Restoration of the towers.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are various wall paintings (thirteenth century; transept, fifteenth century; choir aisle,), a pulpit (1582-1583), two bells (1458; northern tower, 1694; southern tower) and a church organ made by J.H. Holtgräve (1841-1843).
Burial ground
Date of consecration
Date of clearance 1880
Extant building remnants
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University