Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Joriskerk in Drempt, Gelderland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 53
Name (Dutch) St. Joriskerk
Name (English) St George´s Church
Patron saint(s)
  • George
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Gelderland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Drempt
Coordinates 208/447D
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Deventer
Parish Drempt
Date of foundation 1328
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Frederik van Hekeren, Gerard van Oyen.
Right of collation Teutonic Knights (Dieren).
Phases in the institutional history Although it is possible that the document is false, a parish church was mentioned in 1252. In a document of 1328 the St George's Church was again mentioned. Since then, the right of collation belonged to the Teutonic Knights (Dieren).
Date of reformation (or dissolution)
Additional remarks It is likely that the right of collation of the parish church in Drempt was exchanged several times. The churches of Hummelo and Almen are mentioned in correlation with this.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • B. , Kristensen, Herinneringen aan de restauratie van de oude kerk in Drempt (Arnhem 1993)
  • Bruyn-Sepmeijer, E.M. de, Rond 1000 jaar kerk in Drempt : verhalen uit duizend en één jaar van mensen en hun kerk ( Doesburg 1986)
  • Hulsman, G. , De geschiedenis van den toren van Drempt en z?n beteekenis voor de gemeente (Z.P. 1939)
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 458
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958), 124-125
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name St George's Church, Drempt
Date of foundation 1328
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages <1200: Construction of a Romanesque tower (twelfth century). <1500: Construction of the current late Gothic choir (fifteenth century). <1600 The nave was replaced in the sixteenth century. 1868: Renovations of the church.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are bells made by F. Simon (1637), Hendrik ter Horst (1646) and P. Seest (1765). A tombstone in memory of a priest (1558) and a church organ with coat of arms of Van Rouwenoort (1777) are part of the inventory.
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University