Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

Grote of St. Nicolaaskerk in Muiden, Noord-Holland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 54
Name (Dutch) Grote of St. Nicolaaskerk
Name (English) St Nicholas's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Nicholas
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Noord-Holland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Muiden
Coordinates 133/483D
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Utrecht
Parish Muiden
Date of foundation <900
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Right of collation Since 1200: Our Lady's Collegiate Church (Utrecht).
Phases in the institutional history In 900 the church of Muiden is mentioned as one of the churches that belonged to the Abbey of Werden (Germany). Around 1200 the right of collation of St Nicholas's Church belonged to the Our Lady's Collegiate Church (Utrecht).
Date of reformation (or dissolution)
Additional remarks The church in Muiden was influenced by the abbey of Werden. Liudger, who originated from the surroundings of Muiden, was the founder of this abbey.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Damman, K. ; Cerutti, W., Muiden en haar middeleeuwse kerk (Muiden 1975)
  • Jongepier, J., Het orgel in de Ned. Herv. Kerk te Muiden, Het orgel: Tijdschrift over orgelcultuur en kerkmuziek 11 (1976), 348-356, 348-356
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 348
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958), 167-168
  • Numan, A.M., Noord-Hollandse kerken en kapellen in de Middeleeuwen, ca. 720-1200 (Zutphen 2005), 147-149
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name St Nicholas's Church, Muiden
Date of foundation 953
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages <1200: There are some remnants of the twelfth century, for example of the Romanesque tower. <1500: Construction of the Gothic nave and choir fifteenth century. Remnants of the thirteenth century church are processed in the current fa├žade of the nave and choir. <1600: The former sacristy was constructed in the sixteenth century. 1921-1928 and 1971-1978: Restorations.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are two bells made by Henricus de Borch (1525), several fifteenth century wall paintings (tower, choir, sacristy), a pulpit (sevententh century), a baptistery screen (1647), a church organ made by H. Knipscheer (1835; with organ case made by Jan Slegel 1661) and a memorial in memory of Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft and his second wife Heleonora Hellemans (1647).
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants A memorial tablet in memory of Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft and his second wife is part of the inventory.
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University