Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Martinuskerk in Wirdum, Friesland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 559
Name (Dutch) St. Martinuskerk
Name (English) St Martin's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Martin of Tours
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Friesland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Wirdum
Coordinates 183/574C
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Leeuwarden
Parish Wirdum
Date of foundation ca.800
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) St Liudger
Right of collation
Phases in the institutional history It is likely that the church was a successor to the church founded by St Liudger (ca. 800) . A new church is mentioned in 1335 when suffragan bishop Jan van Diest consecrated to altars in the St Martin's Church.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1580
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 547
  • Karstkarel, Peter, Alle middeleeuwse kerken. Van Harlingen tot Wilhelmshaven (Leeuwarden 2007), 315
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958), 73
  • Roemeling, O.D.J., Heiligen en Heren. Studies over het parochiewezen in het Noorden van Nederland vóór 1600 (Leeuwarden 2013); Bijlage 1 (CD-ROM), pp. 1230-1243
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1200-1300
Church or chapel(s)
Name St Martin's Church, Wirdum
Date of foundation 800-1335
Date of consecration 1335
Short history of the building stages <1300: Construction of a church in brick stone. Construction of the Oenema-Cammingha's chapel (extension). <1400: Construction of the southern tower. <1700: The western tower was demolished in the seventeenth century. 1716: Renovation of the church. 1806: Renovation and enlargement of the (southern) tower. Recent restoration of the church.
Additional remarks Parts of the inventory are a pulpit, a church organ (1790), a bell made by Stephanus (1338) and several memorial tombs.
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University