Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

Grote of St. Maartenskerk in Tiel, Gelderland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 56
Name (Dutch) Grote of St. Maartenskerk
Name (English) St Martin's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Martin of Tours
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Gelderland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Tiel
Coordinates 158/433B
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Utrecht
Parish Tiel
Date of foundation <1000
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Right of collation Teutonic Knights
Phases in the institutional history From 1328 onwards the church was incorporated with the commandry of Teutonic Knights, which was transferred to Tiel from Hemert. Before this date the chapter of St Walburg (Tiel, later Arnhem) had the right of collation.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1580
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Bosch, W. ten, Catalogus, Beschrijvende, der grafzerken en grafborden in de Groote Kerk te Tiel (Tiel 1925)
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 421
  • Kok, H.J., Proeve van een onderzoek van de patrocinia in het middeleeuwse bisdom Utrecht (Amsterdam 1958), 52
  • Vermeulen, F.A.J., De Nederlandsche monumenten van geschiedenis en kunst III. De provincie Gelderland, 1e stuk: De Bommeler- en Tielerwaard, afl. 2: De Tielerwaard ('s-Gravenhage 1946), 400-428
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name St Martin's Church, Tiel
Date of foundation <1000
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages Ca. 1420: Construction of the nave. 1440: Construction of the current late Gothic tuff stone tower. 1450-1500: A southern side aisle is added to the nave. 1554-1558: Construction of a library and later a baptistery (southern side-aisle). 1558: Plans are made to construct a transept and choir, but they were never finished and demolished in 1731. 1558: Demolition of the (tower) steeple. Construction of the current pavilion roof in 1935. 1560: Construction of the sacristy. Ca. 1725: Construction of the northern portal with text sign (Louis XIV style). 1958-1964: Restoration of the church. 1953, 1987-1988: Restoration of the tower.
Additional remarks Excavations have revealed vestiges of many predecessors of the present church, dating as far back as the Carolingian era. The church was heavily damaged during the Second World War. Repairs continued until 1966. Six panels with early-renaissance carvings (ca. 1530) have been processed in the new pulpit (1964). Also part of the inventory are various memorial tombs (fifteenth century). The church organ was made by C.G.F. Witte (1854) and originated from the Nieuwe Kerk / New Church of Dordrecht. Several bells are part of the inventory, among which bells made by Jan Moer (tower; 1552 ,church; 1552,1554).
Burial ground
Location Church
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University