Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Nicolaaskerk (Nicolaïkerk) in Appingedam, Groningen, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 63
Name (Dutch) St. Nicolaaskerk (Nicolaïkerk)
Name (English) St Nicholas's Church (Nicolaïkerk)
Patron saint(s)
  • Our Lady
  • Nicholas
Additional remarks Our Lady was originally the patron saint. She is mentioned in a document of 1331. Later also St Nicholas is mentioned as patron saint in a document of 1408.
Location (according to current geography)
Province Groningen, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Appingedam
Coordinates 253/594C
Diocese before 1559 Münster
Diocese after 1559 Groningen
Parish Appingedam
Date of foundation <1234
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Right of collation
Phases in the institutional history
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1594
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Joosting, J.G.C. , Geschiedkundige Atlas van Nederland. De kerkelijke indeeling omstreeks 1550 tevens kloosterkaart. II De bisdommen Munster en Osnabrück (in Groningen en Friesland) (The Hague 1915), 58
  • Karstkarel, Peter, Alle middeleeuwse kerken. Van Harlingen tot Wilhelmshaven (Leeuwarden 2007), 337
  • Ozinga, M.D., De Nederlandsche Monumenten van Geschiedenis en Kunst, deel VI De Provincie Groningen, eerste stuk: Oost-Groningen ('s Gravenhage 1940), 3-14
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name Appingedam, SS Mary and Nicholas's Church
Date of foundation <1234
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1200-1250: Construction of a church with tower. 1250: Construction of the transept and enclosed choir; Romano/Gothic church. 1300-1350: Enlargement of the choir; gothic part. 1475-1500: Construction of the current hall church with side aisles. 1475-1500: Addition of the southern chapel (St Joseph's Chapel). 1500-1525: Construction northern chapel (Our Lady's ) and sacristy. 1500-1525: Demolition of the original tower. 1834-1835: Construction of the new tower. 1561,1686: Restoration. 1948-1954: Restoration.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University