Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

Grote of St. Martinuskerk (Martinikerk) in Bolsward, Friesland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 665
Name (Dutch) Grote of St. Martinuskerk (Martinikerk)
Name (English) St Martin's Church (Martinikerk)
Patron saint(s)
  • Martin of Tours
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Friesland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Bolsward
Coordinates 164/564B
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Leeuwarden
Parish Bolsward
Date of foundation <1100
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Bishop
Right of collation Bishop
Phases in the institutional history The first time this church was mentioned is in a document of 1200. During archaeological excavation remnants of a eleventh century church were discovered. Bishop Jan van Diest gave this church to his clerk Hubert van Budel in 1327.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1580
Additional remarks St Martin's Church was the mother church of the deanery Westergo. Originally, it was a proprietary church of the bishop. Later it belonged to the Commandery of Knights Hospitallers at Sneek.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 572
  • Karstkarel, Peter, Alle middeleeuwse kerken. Van Harlingen tot Wilhelmshaven (Leeuwarden 2007), 57
  • Roemeling, O.D.J., De Premonstratenzer abdij Lidlum en de zielzorg in Noordelijk Westergo, De vrije Fries 87 (2007), 29-62, 30
  • Roemeling, O.D.J., Heiligen en Heren. Studies over het parochiewezen in het Noorden van Nederland vóór 1600 (Leeuwarden 2013); Bijlage 1 (CD-ROM), pp. 103-129

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name Bolsward, St Martin's Church
Date of foundation <1100
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages <1100: During an archaeological excavation remnants of a eleventh century church were discovered. In the eleventh century a tuff stone church and tower were constructed. <1400: In the fourteenth century this church was enlarged. 1400-1425: Construction of the western tower. 1446: Renovation of the church (nave, choir). 1466: Construction of the sacristy. 1450-1475: Construction of the two upper sections of the tower. 1908-1909, 1955-1958, 1987-1988: Restoration.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are several wall paintings, two bells (one made by Stephanus in 1320), choir stalls (1490; important woodcarving), a pulpit (1660-1662), a church organ made by Albertus Anthoni Hinsz (1778-1781; renovated in 1860) and several memorial tombs.
Burial ground
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University