Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Gangulphuskerk in Eelde, Drenthe, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 70
Name (Dutch) St. Gangulphuskerk
Name (English) St Gangulf's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Gangulf
  • Our Lady
Additional remarks St Gangulf and Our Lady are both mentioned as patron saints.
Location (according to current geography)
Province Drenthe, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Eelde
Coordinates 234/572A
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Groningen
Parish Eelde
Date of foundation 1139
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Right of collation The Teutonic Knights
Phases in the institutional history The church was mentioned for the first time in 1139.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1598
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Steensma, Regnerus, Langs de oude Drentse kerken (Baarn 1977)
  • Halbertsma, Herrius , Archeologisch nieuws: Eelde; restauratie der Herv. kerk, Bulletin: Koninklijke Nederlandse Oudheidkundige Bond (KNOB) (1973), 112-114
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 500
  • Karstkarel, Peter, Alle middeleeuwse kerken. Van Harlingen tot Wilhelmshaven (Leeuwarden 2007), 615
  • Post, R.R., Eigenkerken en bisschoppelijk gezag in het diocees Utrecht tot de XIIIe eeuw (Utrecht 1928), 172
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1300-1400
Church or chapel(s)
Name Eelde, SS Gangulphus's and Our Lady's Church
Date of foundation 1139
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages Some remnants of an older Romanesque church were used in the construction of the current church (wall). <1400: The current church (nave, choir and roof-turret) was constructed in the fourteenth century. 1715: Construction of the buttresses (during the restoration of the choir). 1875: Renovation of the church. 2000: Restoration of the church.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are several wall paintings, a pulpit (1621), a church organ made by P. van Dam and several tombstones (oldest one from 1545 with the coat of arms of the family Sigers).
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University