Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Hospital

Soete-Naeme-Jhesusweeshuis in Kampen, Overijssel, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 705
Name (Dutch) Soete-Naeme-Jhesusweeshuis
Name (English) Holy Name of Jesus's Orphanage
Patron saint(s)
  • Holy Name of Jesus
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Overijssel, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Kampen
Coordinates 191/508
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Deventer
Parish Kampen
Date of foundation 1539
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Johan Evertsz a Lymberich (rector Latin school).
Hospital or orphanage > Character of the institution
  • female orphans
  • male orphans
Staff
Phases in the institutional history 1539: Foundation of the orphanage, with the goal to educate orphan boys to become choir singers (Bovenkerk). 1554: General orphanage for boys and girls. 1587-1592: Relocation to the former monastery of Alexian Brothers. 1657: Only orphans from 'grootburgers' were admitted.
Date of dissolution/transition to secular management
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Kolman, Chris, De bouwgeschiedenis van het Soete-Naeme-Jhesus-weeshuis te Kampen (1539-1587), Kamper almanak (1985), 227-251
  • Kolman, R.J., De Latijnse school en de koorzang in de Sint-Nicolaaskerk tijdens het rectoraat van Johan Evertsz a Lymberich (1532-1554); de stichting van het Soete-Naeme-Jhesushuys, Kamper almanak (1985), 155-225
  • Vlis, Ingrid van der, Weeshuizen in Nederland (Zutphen 2002), 239-240
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1539
Church or chapel(s)
Name Kampen, Holy Name of Jesus's Orphanage
Date of foundation 1539
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1539: Johan Evertsz a Lymberich bought a house to accommodate the orphanage. In the following years, two adjacent buildings were acquired. 1558: Construction of a 'Regentskamer'. 1563: Acquisition of several adjacent houses. 1565: Construction of the hospital. 1581-1592: Sale of the buildings, relocation to the former Alexian convent. 1985: Renovation of the hospital. The building was turned into apartments.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants Hospital
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University