Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Monastery

St. Agathaklooster, Kruisheren in Sint Agatha, Noord-Brabant, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 715
Name (Dutch) St. Agathaklooster, Kruisheren
Name (English) St Agatha's Monastery, Crutched Friars
Patron saint(s)
  • Agatha
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Noord-Brabant, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Sint Agatha
Coordinates 192/414AC
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 Roermond
Parish Cuijk
Date of foundation 1371
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) Willem van Doernen.
Religious order
Type of religious order Crutched Friars
Associated with
Type of institution men
Mother house yes
Name of the mother house Mother house of monasteries in Venlo (foundation 1399) and Roermond (1422).
Phases in the institutional history 1371: Crutched Friars. 1410: Strict observance.
Date of transition to secular management
Date of dissolution
Additional remarks This monastery functions till the present day. It also harbours the Erfgoedcentrum Nederlands Kloosterleven (Center for Dutch Monastic Heritage).
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material extant manuscripts and printed books
Storage in one place
Short description of the material Manuscript (Stooker and Verbeij): 266
Holding institution(s)
Name Klooster Sint Aegten. Erfgoedcentrum Nederlands Kloosterleven
Settlement Cuijk, Noord-Brabant, NL
Website
Additional remarks
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Storage in one place
Short description of the material Den Bosch, BHIC: 368. Size: 940 described records.
Holding institution(s)
Name Brabants Historisch Informatie Centrum
Settlement 's-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, NL
Website
Additional remarks
  • Bosch, P. van den, StudiĆ«n over de observantie der kruisbroeders in de vijftiende eeuw (Diest 1968), 89-91
  • Schoengen, M., Monasticon Batavum II De Augustijnsche orden, benevens de broeders en zusters van het gemeene leven (Amsterdam 1941), 8; Number 1
Links

Building history

General date of construction ca.1371
Church or chapel(s)
Name Sint Agatha, Monastery of Crutched Friars
Date of foundation 1371
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1315: First mention of a chapel of St Agatha, at that time without a connected monastery. <1500: The current chapel was built in the fifteenth century. 1580: Demolition of the monastery by acts of war. 1612: Reconstruction of the monastery buildings. 1906: Demolition of a large part of the complex, which was rebuilt in a Neo-Gothic style. 1949: Restauration of the chapel after a fire in 1944. 1962, 2004: Reconstruction of the west wing.
Additional remarks
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants Chapel, cloister (partially)
Demolition 1906
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University