Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Clemenskerk in Havelte, Drenthe, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 72
Name (Dutch) St. Clemenskerk
Name (English) St Clement's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Clement
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Drenthe, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Havelte
Coordinates 213/532B
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Groningen
Parish Havelte
Date of foundation 1310
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Right of collation
Phases in the institutional history Before St Clement's Church was constructed a chapel had been founded in Havelte. In 1310 a parish church was founded. This parish was separated from the collegiate church of St Clement in Steenwijk.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1598
Additional remarks The church was located outside the village centre of Havelte.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Riddering, J., De kerk te Havelte : 650 jaar (Z.P. 1960)
  • Wolters, Joos, Kerk in niemandsland : over de geschiedenis van het kerkgebouw en de kerkgemeenschap van Havelte (Havelte 2008)
  • Joosting & Muller Hzn., J.G.C.& S., Bronnen voor de geschiedenis der kerkelijke rechtspraak in het bisdom Utrecht in de Middeleeuwen. I: S. Muller Hzn, De indeeling van het bisdom (The Hague 1915), 505
  • Karstkarel, Peter, Alle middeleeuwse kerken. Van Harlingen tot Wilhelmshaven (Leeuwarden 2007), 621
Links

Building history

General date of construction 1400-1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name Havelte, St Clement's Church
Date of foundation 1310
Date of consecration 1310
Short history of the building stages 1310: Construction of the church. <1500: In the fifteenth century the church was enlarged. Construction of the current nave and choir. 1410: The tower was constructed in 1410. 1920-1925: Restoration.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory is a sandstone sarcophagus (twelfth century), a tombstone in memory of Joan Struuck († 1605) and his wife Anna († 1606), a bell made by Geert van Wou and Johannes Schonenborch (1516), a pulpit (1663) and a church organ (1819; with older remnants). Several old tombs are located at the cemetery.
Burial ground
Location Church and churchyard.
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University