Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Confraternity

College van Memorieheren, Jacobskerk in Den Haag (The Hague), Zuid-Holland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 732
Name (Dutch) College van Memorieheren, Jacobskerk
Name (English) College of 'Memorieheren', St James's Church
Patron saint(s)
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Zuid-Holland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Den Haag (The Hague)
Coordinates 81/455
Diocese before 1559 Utrecht
Diocese after 1559 Utrecht
Parish Den Haag
Date of foundation 1439
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Aim of the foundation
Affiliated with a guild? no
Specification
Altar
Composition
  • secular clergy
Phases in the institutional history 1436: First mention of the college. 1439: Formal union of the college, which consisted of priests responsible for the execution of memorial services.
Date of dissolution 1572
Additional remarks The number of 'memorieheren' (priests responsible for memorial services) was 14 in 1439, 24 in 1457, and 31 in 15060-1564. The memorieheren from The Hague were also responsible for the maintenance of the library of St James's Church.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Kan, F.J.W. van, Om zalicheyt synre siele. Het stichten van memoriediensten in middeleeuws Den Haag, in: , Jaarboek Die Haghe (The Hague 1996), 10-27, 13-19
Links

Building history

General date of construction
Church or chapel(s)
Name St James's Church, The Hague
Date of foundation ca.1275-1300
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1420-1424:Construction of the tower. Replacement of the crowning in 1539. Restoration of the tower in stages after 1940.1951-1956: Current steeple. 1434-1455: The original nave was replaced by the current one. 1492: Construction of the current choir (aisle), Our Lady chapel and Holy Cross chapel. 1539: Construction of the roof- urret. 1829-1830, 1854, 1878-1884, 1912-1920, 1957-1963, 1985-1987: Restorations.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are the statues in memory of Gerrit of Assendelft († 1486) and his wife Beatrix van Dalem († 1492) (in the 'chapel of Assendelft').
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Demolition
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University