Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Chapter

Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk in Tholen, Zeeland, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 850
Name (Dutch) Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk
Name (English) Our Lady's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Our Lady
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Zeeland, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Tholen
Coordinates 74/394A
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 Middelburg
Parish Schakerloo - Tholen
Date of foundation 1404
Type of chapter residing in a parish church
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s) The count of Holland as successor to the Lords of Tholen
Number of prebends 9
Phases in the institutional history Until 1404, Tholen had only a chapel as a subsidiary to the parish church of Schakerloo. When the chapter was founded, this chapel was raised to the status of parish (?). The church of Schakerloo was incorporated with the chapter.
Date of transition (to secular management)
Date of dissolution 1572
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
Type of extant material institution archive/archival material
Short description of the material Cartulary of the Chapter of Tholen, 1312-1576: Oud-Bisschoppelijke Clerezie inv. 1.
Holding institution(s)
Name Zeeuws Archief
Settlement Middelburg, Zeeland, NL
Additional remarks
  • 't Hoog, J. A. T. M. M. op, De Grote of Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk van Tholen, Bulletin / Stichting Oude Zeeuwse Kerken 25 (1990), 17-20
  • Baijense, B. , De Grote Kerk te Tholen., De hoeksteen: tijdschrift voor vaderlandse kerkgeschiedenis 5/6 (1976), 161-165
  • Caspers, C., Tholen: parochiekerk van OLV, in: Caspers, C.; Margry, P.J., Bedevaartplaatsen in Nederland I (Amsterdam and Hilversum 1997), 712-713
  • Veen, J.S. van; Beekman, A.A., Geschiedkundige atlas van Nederland. De kerkelijke indeeling omstreeks 1550 tevens kloosterkaart III. De bisdommen Munster, Keulen en Luik; het bisdom Doornik (The Hague 1923), 45
  • Zuurdeeg, J., Kerken op Tholen en Sint-Philipsland (Tholen 2005)
  • Zuurdeeg, J.; Osta, P. van, De katholieke kerk Tholen tijdens en na de reformatie; voorw. van P. VAN OSTA. (Tholen 1975)

Building history

General date of construction
Church or chapel(s)
Name Tholen, Our Lady's Church
Date of foundation
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages Some remnants are left of the fourteenth century tower. 1452: The church was damaged during a city fire. 1450-1500: Construction of the current church (nave, transept and choir). The fourteenth century tower was enlarged in the last part of the fifteenth century. <1600: Construction of sacristy, northern portal and southern transept (librije). 1575: Damaged due to war. 1755: After 1755 the choir became separated from the rest of the church. 1947-1960 and 1995-1996, 2001-2002: Restoration.
Additional remarks Part of the inventory are a Ten Commandments plate (1581), a pulpit (1648) and a baptistery screen (ca.1650). Inside the church are several (figural) tombstones, for example in memory of Guy Bastard of Blois († 1527) and Digna van Assemansbroek († 1516).
Burial ground
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2019 Utrecht University