Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Parish

St. Martinuskerk in Cuijk, Noord-Brabant, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 868
Name (Dutch) St. Martinuskerk
Name (English) St Martin's Church
Patron saint(s)
  • Martin of Tours
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Noord-Brabant, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Cuijk
Coordinates
Diocese before 1559 Liege
Diocese after 1559 Roermond
Parish Cuijk
Date of foundation <1000
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Right of collation Lords of Cuijk (until 1469); provost and chapter of St Stephen in Nijmegen (from 1475)
Phases in the institutional history <1000: The patron saint and the fact that the church was built on the spot of the Roman castellum Ceuclum, suggest a foundation in the Early Middle Ages, probably by the king. 1469: The parish was incorporated by the chapter of St Stephen in Nijmegen.
Date of reformation (or dissolution) 1648
Additional remarks The church was returned ca.1809 to the Catholic Church.
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Bijsterveld, Arnoud-Jan A. van, Laverend tussen Kerk en Wereld. De pastoors in Noord-Brabant 1400-1570. (Nijmegen 1993), 43, 51, 72, 219-220, 388, 391, 389-399; Bijlage 3, 33-34
Links

Building history

General date of construction ca.1500
Church or chapel(s)
Name Cuijk, St Martin's Church
Date of foundation <1000
Date of consecration
Short history of the building stages 1485-1520: The medieval predecessor of the current church was built in the fifteenth century. 1913: Demolition of the medieval church (except the tower) and construction of a new Neo-Gothic church by architect C. Franssen.
Additional remarks The former bell tower of the medieval church now houses the Museum Ceuclum.
Burial ground
Location
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants Bell tower
Demolition 1913
Additional remarks
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2017 Utrecht University