Medieval Memoria Online

Description - Monastery

Augustijner Eremieten in Appingedam, Groningen, NL

MeMO institution ID and name
MeMO institution ID 949
Name (Dutch) Augustijner Eremieten
Name (English) Convent of Austin Friars
Patron saint(s)
Additional remarks
Location (according to current geography)
Province Groningen, NL - Netherlands
Settlement Appingedam
Coordinates 253/594
Diocese before 1559 M√ľnster
Diocese after 1559 Groningen
Parish Appingedam
Date of foundation 1342
Founder(s) or main benefactor(s)
Religious order
Type of religious order Austin Friars
Associated with
Type of institution men
Mother house unknown
Name of the mother house
Phases in the institutional history Details about the history of this monastery are not available. When it was dissolved in 1545 - the buildings were handed over to the parish church of Appingedam - the number of inhabitants had dwindled. The building of an elaborate gatehouse in this late phase is rather curious.
Date of transition to secular management
Date of dissolution 1545
Additional remarks
Extant memorial objects and/or texts concerning memoria
Memorial objects
Text carriers
  • Hillenga, M.; Kroeze, H., De middeleeuwse kloostergeschiedenis van de Nederlanden; vol. III: Kloosters in Groningen (Zwolle 2012), 138-141
  • Meijer, A. de, De Augustijner Eremieten en Friesland, Us wurk 10 (1961), 27-39
  • Meijer, A. de, De gedenksteen van Dico van Groningen en de Augustijner kloostergoederen van Appingedam, Archief voor de geschiedenis van de Katholieke Kerk in Nederland 9 (1967), 1-66
  • Tromp, C., Groninger kloosters (Assen and Maastricht 1989), 93-95

Building history

General date of construction
Church or chapel(s)
Burial ground
Date of consecration
Date of clearance
Extant building remnants None
Additional remarks The buildings were situated at De Wierde, a separate mound to the northwest of the town centre. The church is still visible on a panel painted by Claes Hendericx in 1665.
Medieval Memoria Online v1.1 — © 2018 Utrecht University